The Constitution of India does not allow holding Indian citizenship and citizenship of a foreign country simultaneously. The Government of India decided to grant Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI), based on the recommendation of the High Level committee on Indian Diaspora. To apply for OCI card, you need to follow OCI card photo requirement. What are they?
Who can apply for OCI card? Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) who migrated from India and acquired citizenship of a foreign country other than Pakistan and Bangladesh, are eligible for issue of OCI as long as their home countries allow dual citizenship in some form or the other under their local laws. Spouse of foreign origin of a citizen of India OR of an OCI cardholder and whose marriage has been registered and subsisted for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the application, can also apply for OCI Card.
However, before applying for OCI, you need to know OCI card photo requirement to response perfectly.
OCI card photo requirement
- Photograph for OCI card cannot be the same photograph which is already in your passport
- Your recent passport photo taken within the last 6 months, showing current appearance
- Photograph to be affixed on the application should be square shaped OR 2 inches x 2 inches size (51mm x 51mm) (80% coverage of face)
- Photographs NOT to be stapled and must NOT be sticky taped.
- Photographs should be without a border.
- Must be in color, against white background and must show your full face, front view.
- Must be taken in normal street attire, preferably taken in colored attire, for example, a medium blue shirt etc.
- The attire should not be patterned/textured or pure white.
- Photograph has to be an original and printed on GLOSSY PHOTO PAPER ONLY.
- You should not wear uniform in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily.
- If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture.
- Dark glasses or non-prescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required in this case.
- You should avoid glare on eyeglasses with a slight upward or downward tilt of the head.
- Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline. Head coverings are not allowed except for religious reasons, make sure that photo presents full head from top of hair to bottom of chin, height of head measure 1 inch to 1 – 3/8 inch (25 mm to 35 mm). Make sure eye height is between 1 to 1/8 inch to 1 – 3.
- Photograph to response OCI card photo requirement must be professional grade. A photo printed from home from personal printer will be rejected.
What will happen in case you do not complete OCI card photo requirement? If the photograph does not meet the specifications mentioned above, in case of OCI application, the online printing machine at New Delhi may reject the photo. Indian Consulate does not accept any arguments because no person is rejecting the photos. That means, the only way for you is providing good quality photos..
If your photo does not meet OCI card photo requirement, the application will remain on hold for a maximum of 21 calendar days, until you sent a new acceptable photo. If necessary, you will receive an email requesting new photographs.